What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is a fast-growing social media site that allows users to create an online image collage, called a “board“, that users share with their friends and other Pinterest users. While browsing the site’s addicting content, you can “pin” anything you see to any of your boards and add comments, Facebook ‘likes’ and share your activity with other social sites.
- Pinterest is currently invite-only. You can request an invite from us or you can be invited by someone who is already a part of Pinterest
- It was founded in 2008 but didn’t open up its beta mode to the public until 2010
- Sync with your Facebook, blog and Twitter for easy sharing
- Currently there are about 5 million users, and growing fast
- It’s simple to use, beautiful and known for being highly addicting
- There is marketing potential for your products to get pinned to hundreds of other boards
Who is Pinterest for?
- 80% of Pinterest users are women, but men are finding plenty to be interested in with DIY, car, geek, sports and technology categories
- It’s free but requires an investment of time. A good pinboard will have content steadily added to maximize exposure
- Caters to people looking for recipes, room décor, style ideas, and do-it-yourself crafts, quotes, inspiration, and more
- Caters to those who like to “curate” or weed out the good from the bad in a marketplace of ideas-style environment
- Websites and brands that use a lot of images to promote their activity
Tips to Succeeding with Pinterest
- Pinterest is all about personal expression, so be yourself and let the humanity of your brand show through
- Build relationships with the movers and shakers of the site who are in your industry
- Use other social media channels to point people to your Pinterest content
- Companies should have around 10 boards; If you find you’re never pinning to one, merge it into other boards or delete it
- Promote other brands and people you like; Pinterest followers are notorious for identifying boards that are too self-serving and that only post their own products
How can your brand use Pinterest?
- Create a brand lifestyle board or visual resume of what your company does
- Show off your company’s vision or sense of humor
- Add your brand or personal name, a photo, about section, website URL and connect it with your social media accounts
- Be creative! Use humor and creativity to name your boards and in deciding what to pin
- Tag and share with other like-minded professionals or brands
- Create seasonal or holiday boards that tie-in with your brand
- Create a board that represents your company’s core values or tells the story of how you were created
- Have a board for each employee to highlight their unique qualities (great for designers)
- Create visually stunning coupons to feature on a coupon board
How do you get started?
- Contact us to get an invitation to Pinterest and try it for free!
- Receive one-to-one Pinterest training plus Pinboard creation and optimization with our online marketing team
- Add the Pinterest button to your content streams to allow users to pin your content
- Let us create fantastic pinboards and a company profile for you, and we’ll sync it to your social media channels
Contact us if you like to start integrating this new promotional channel to your current Core builds: (612) 283-4846.